Take a look at all the wonderful things we've been getting up to in our STEM Faculty.
This year we've been enjoying the following activities:
- a 'Weird Science Term' with brilliant home-school projects. We sent home a home school project knowkedge organiser with some whizpopping activities for children to complete on including melting ice, cheesy wotsit pollen test, making shadows and making planes. Children sent in their findings, got involved online and on Purple Mash and even sent videos of their own learning. Thank you to all who got involved!
- Science week - Mrs Waring really enjoyed visiting all the classes to show some exciting experiements including the coke and mento experiement, rainbow skittles, flip book illusions and zoetropes. We also heard from a real life Doctor who told us all about diagnosing appendicitis and how she became and Doctor. Through the week, children could by science gadgets from out lovely science ambassadors! There was also an opportunity to visit our new school telescope and Planetarium! A fun week all round!
- creating delicious, seasonal, healthy treats and designing our own structures and textile products
- learning how to stay safe online
- continually improving and embedding our mathematical skills within both our maths lessons and our wider STEM subjects
- TT Rock Stars battles
- meeting the Fun Food Chef and creating delicious, nourishing meals with him
- Cookery Club
- Science Club - children came to explore the science term projects and had a lovely time being scientific! What was really lovely was the mix of age groups from Year 1 to Year 6.
- launching our Science Ambassadors - Thank you to our lovely children who helped launch the science club, took ownership of our gadget shop and introduce science task via our videos!
TT Rock Stars: Battle of the Times Tables
Every week, our children are set a times tables battle on TT Rock Stars to encourage them to practise their times tables to continue to improve. Children knowing their times tables is so important as it feeds in to almost all mathematical concepts that our children will explore. So, each week, our children battle it out to become a part of our Christ Church band by winning an inflatable instrument. These prizes are given to children who are continually practising their times tables and children who we notice have improved their times tables. We love to hear children getting excited about winning their class battle and becoming a part of our Christ Church band!
Computing: Purple Mash
At Christ Church, we use Purple Mash when teaching Computing. We love using Purple Mash as it allows our children to explore concepts like coding independently without fear of making a mistake! We introduce the lessons, learn something new together and then the children have a go themselves. We're always amazed at how confident they are during Computing lessons - they always want to show us what they've discovered or the animations they've created and we love to see it!